North Star Planning
North Yarmouth, ME United States
Planner – Salaried Position, Full Time
North Star Planning
North Star Planning is a small Maine-based planning firm located in North Yarmouth, seeking to hire a Planner with excellent communication skills who is interested in being part of a growing planning practice. This position is being created to better serve current clients and support continued expansion of our project base.
We are focused on adding the right person to the team and doing so in a way that meets that person's current needs and future career goals. This position was originally advertised two months ago as a part-time to full-time hourly position but is being reposed as a full-time salaried position.
About the Company
North Star Planning works on a wide variety of projects for public and private sector clients. We do this through corridor, downtown, open space and comprehensive planning, through policy analysis, ordinance development, rezoning and recodification projects, and community and economic development work. For more information, please visit our website at www.northstar-planning.com..
Excellent writing skills are required for both public facing and technical documents. Strong communication skills are required for work with the public and clients and among members of the team.
The Planner will support a wide variety of projects related to:
- Land use planning
- Research and data analysis
- Planning document drafting and design
- Ordinance and technical writing
- Site evaluation and site plan review, and
- Group facilitation, public participation and engagement.
The work will vary based on current projects and project load. Occasional night meetings and Saturday meetings will be required.
The Ideal Candidate
We invite candidates with experience in local or regional planning, economic development, urban planning and design, or landscape architecture to apply. This position is envisioned as a mid-level position, though anyone with the requisite qualifications interested in working flexible hours in a small office environment should consider applying.
The job will be filled by someone who demonstrates a high level of commitment to client success and wants to work on a wide variety of projects in a small team, entrepreneurial environment. We are looking for a creative problem solver and flexible thinker who wants to be an integral member of a growing planning practice.
- Master's degree in community planning and development, city and regional planning, public policy, public administration, or another related field (or a bachelor's degree plus related work experience)
- 2-5 years relevant work experience
- Strong analytical skills with experience in a broad range of data sources
- Strong writing skills in a range of writing formats
- A desire to work in a high performance, professional, service-oriented environment
- The ability to attend occasional evening and weekend meetings
- Strong research and data synthesis skills
- The ability to manage work for multiple deadlines simultaneously and learn about technical subject matter "on the job"
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite
Other desirable (not required) qualifications include:
- AICP accreditation
- Experience with visualization tools such as SketchUp or similar applications
- Experience with developing reports and graphics using Adobe InDesign
- Experience with ArcGIS
The salary this position is $55,000 - $65,000, commensurate with ability and experience.
A competitive benefits package will be provided, including paid holidays, paid time off, and a retirement match.
Qualified candidates are asked to submit a cover letter, resume and examples of your written and/or graphic work to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls, please.
North Star Planning is an Equal Opportunity Employer.