Town of Westerly
Westerly, RI United States
The Town of Westerly is accepting applications for the position of Town Planner. The employee will be responsible for performing a variety of current, complex, and long-range municipal planning activities.
This position is under the general supervision of the Director of Development Services.
The Town Planner works in the Department of Development Services and is located at Westerly Town Hall. Hours are typically 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM; however, flexibility is expected for this position, as this position will be responsible for attending Town Council and Planning Board meetings. Some of the responsibilities are as follows:
- Supervisors, mentors, and develops assigned staff in the Department of Development Services.
- Oversees day-to-day community planning and land use activities including timely review of land development and subdivision applications.
- Coordinates, prepares and presents projects/proposals to various internal and external stakeholders.
- Provides staff assistance and technical support to the Planning Board, and other municipal boards and commissions as necessary.
- Oversees the preparation and administration of the Town's comprehensive plan and land development & subdivision regulations.
- Communicates with internal and external stakeholders on planning and zoning matters.
- Conduct studies involving economic, housing, geographic, environmental, transportation, or other issues affecting land use and development.
- Conducts site inspections to ensure compliance with approved subdivision and development plans.
- Prepares grant applications and administers awarded grants.
- Perform related work as required.
About the Department
One of the functions of the Department of Development Services is to oversee land use planning, review of major and minor development projects and subdivisions, community development activities, administration of federal and state grant programs, and other related activities. The department provides staff support to a number of different local boards and commissions including the Planning Board.
The candidate offered the position will be required to successfully pass a background investigation.
A complete job description is available on-line at www.westerlyri.gov or at the Human Resources Department.
Interested applicants must submit a resume. Open until filled.
Educational Requirements: Bachelor's Degree in Urban or Community Planning, Public Administration, Geography, Environmental Planning or related field. A Master's Degree in a related area is preferred. Experience: At least four years of progressively responsible experience in community planning, which includes at least one year of supervisory experience passion for working in government. Extensive knowledge of local government operations and the principles and procedures of community planning, municipal land use law, urban design, mapping and geographic information systems (GIS). Skills: Technical expert in the interrelationships between regulatory rules, procedures, practices and laws as they relate to planning. Strong leadership skills combined with a participatory management style and have well developed analytical capabilities. Ability to resolve complex problems and issues as they arise and be very comfortable presenting in front of Town Council and the Planning Board. Any equivalent combination of education, experience, or training that has prepared the incumbent to perform the essential duties of the position
Licenses & Certifications: Possess a valid driver's license. Certification by the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) is highly desirable.