Town of Ridgefield
Ridgefield, CT United States
TITLE: Assistant Planner
Full Time-35hrs week with Benefits
The Assistant Planner will assist the Director of the Planning and Zoning department in the overall operation of the Planning & Zoning Department. Attends evening meetings of the Commission when assigned. Assists the Director and Commission in research, report-writing, resolutions, and meetings with the public and applicants. Assists the Director in fulfilling the statutory and regulatory responsibilities of local and state laws. Prepares and/or delegates preparation of agendas and legal notices with assistance from clerical staff. Some field inspections may be required.
Under supervision of the Director, the Assistant Planner will be required to perform the following types of assignments:
- Participate in Planning and Zoning Commission meetings as required by the Commission and/or assigned by the Director
- Manage, prepare and distribute draft and final agendas for Commission applications (or may supervise Office Administrator in completing this task)
- Prepare legal notices for public hearings and decisions of the Commission (or may supervise Office Administrator in completing this task)
- Manage the processing of applications, and perform detailed reviews to meet compliance with land use regulations (zoning, subdivision), determining compatibility with the Plan of Conservation and Development
- Ensure accuracy and compliance with state-mandated deadlines for public hearings and actions by the Commission.
- When assigned, prepare resolutions of actions in connection with land use applications pending before Commission
- Assist the public in understanding regulations and permit requirements, and meets with applicants to explain regulations and the process for filing documents and plans for Commission review.
- Gather and analyze research material to assist in the preparation of land use controls and regulations
- Submit referral material to Conservation Commission, Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection, Health Department or Regional Planning Agencies in connection with land use applications, or Commission-initiated matters
- Organize pre-application meetings for larger projects, and prepares minutes for distribution to applicants and town agents.
- Assist the ZEO in performing field inspections and reports in matters pertaining to the enforcement and the administration of subdivisions, and special permits, as situations warrant
- Perform work required to update the Town's Plan of Conservation and Development, and elements thereof
- Assist the Director in preparation of department budget, and administration of yearly allocations
- Update zoning regulations with all amendments, and distributes same to Commission and others, as required
- Knowledge and ability to apply the principles and practices of municipal planning
- Ability to review and interpret drawings, plans and planning documents
- Knowledge and understanding of Connecticut laws and statutes pertaining to planning, zoning.
- Computer and research skills essential, graphic and drafting skills highly desirable
- Report-writing ability is essential, along with ability to express ideas clearly in both oral and written format
- Bachelor's Degree in Planning, Public Administration or related discipline
- Master's Degree in Urban Planning or related discipline preferred
- Two to Four years of experience in land use planning and administration. Two years of graduate studies may substitute for one year of experience
JOB POSTING DATES: Until Filled
HIRING RANGE: $51,000 – $73,500
Interested applicants should send completed application and resume to:
Town of Ridgefield
400 Main Street
Ridgefield, CT 06877
or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.