Town of Westbrook: Administrative Assistant I, Land Use Department
Town of Westbrook, Land Use Department
Westbrook, CT United States
TITLE: ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT I-LAND USE DEPARTMENT
Part-time, 25 - 30 hour per week, Union position
Performs office administrative work as assigned. Receives applications, performs initial review for completeness, prepares the project file(s) and directs applications to the appropriate staff to begin the higher level reviews. Serves as the initial contact to the public, takes care of customer needs at the Land Use counter, collects fees, issues receipts, and directs questions to staff as applicable. Performs other office activities including, but not limited to: answering phones, processing inspection requests, making copies, assisting with filing, and assisting each department during times of peak activity. May be requested at times to assist in data entry and to attend training on the Town permitting software program.
Receives direct supervision from the Planning, Zoning and Development Coordinator. Receives task assignments from the Planning, Zoning and Development Coordinator, Inland Wetlands Agent and Asst. ZEO.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Prepares letters, violation notices, reports and records for approval of the department supervisors.
- Facilitates the movement of permit applications through the various regulatory departments; provides liaison between applicant and professional staff when necessary.
- Assists the public at the counter and via phone with questions relating to Land Use permits. Provides information relative to the permitting process. Answers routine questions; refers inquiries.
- Assists with organization of data and documents related to grant supervision and administration.
- Assists in preparation and dissemination of agendas and related materials for Planning Commission and Plan of Conservation and Development Steering Committee.
- Substitutes for other comparable office personnel in their absence. Performs other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to develop a working knowledge of application requirements for all permits issued through the Land Use Office.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook. Ability to compose clear and correct letters and reports.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral and diagrammatic and schedule form.
- Ability to establish and maintain complex files and records systems, and to respect confidentiality of the files. Must be highly organized.
- Ability to efficiently schedule and coordinate meetings and inspections and to process paperwork accurately and effectively.
- Ability to establish effective working relationship with other employees and the public and to conduct oneself in a friendly and professional manner.
- Assists other department staff as needed to promote a team effort to serve the public.
REQUIRED EQUIPMENT OPERATION
Ability to operate a personal computer and standard office equipment.
REQUIRED PHYSICAL EFFORT
Performs duties in an office environment. Exposure to computer screen. May be required to lift light to medium weights, for example, map volumes, office supplies, etc. Some stress in dealing with the public.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS (Minimum)
Graduation from high school and 9-12 months of increasingly responsible experience in office administrative work; or any equivalent combination of education and experience which demonstrates possession of the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Knowledge of building construction and ability to read blueprints desirable.
The duties listed are intended as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or logical assignments to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee.