Capitol Region Council of Governments (CRCOG)
Hartford, CT United States
CRCOG is seeking a qualified professional to perform a variety of planning activities within the Community Development branch of the Planning Department. The following is a summary of the position. The full posting can be viewed at https://crcog.org/2020/09/senior-planner/.
General duties include providing expertise planning, research, and policy analysis for the greater Hartford region in the areas of transportation, land use, housing, community development and environmental planning/sustainability.
Incumbents at this level provide specialized knowledge and expertise and/or manage large projects with supervision.
Typical assignments may include (but are not be limited to) assisting with managing large scope projects; reviewing zoning and subdivision proposals occurring along town boundaries; reviewing municipal plans of conservation and development; providing expertise to various committees as assigned; assisting in preparing and reviewing grant proposals, applications, and budgets for various funding sources; and supervision of interns as assigned. Incumbents exercise considerable initiative and independent judgment within an assigned area of responsibility, and work is subject to evaluation on the basis of results obtained.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Principles and practices of urban planning including transportation, land use and environmental planning/sustainability
- Research methods and analysis
- Public policy process and advocacy
- Project development, implementation, and management
- Computer equipment and advanced uses of word processing, spreadsheet, graphics, database and other software
- Geographic Information Systems
- Research and analyze various factors involved in regional planning.
- Operate computers and word processing software and other standard office equipment.
- Communicate clearly and effectively orally and in writing.
- Speak in a public forum providing information and answering questions.
- Prepare clear, accurate records and reports.
- Coordinate and facilitate meetings.
- Establish and maintain highly effective working relationships with managers, elected and appointed officials, staff, community and business leaders, the media, and others encountered during work.
- Organize, coordinate, and prioritize multiple project assignments.
- Handle multiple projects simultaneously and use good judgment in prioritizing work assignments.
- Maintain effectiveness under pressure of variable time constraints and deadlines.
Minimum Training and Experience
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in planning, public policy, political science, or a closely related field and three years of increasingly responsible experience or a combination of training and work experience that demonstrates the knowledge and ability to perform required duties.
Licenses and Certifications
May need a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain. American Institute of certified Planners (AICP) Certification or the ability to obtain.