Tyche Planning & Policy Group
Vernon, CT United States
Municipal Planning Associate
Tyche’s Municipal Planning Associate will be a key member of our municipal services team. This position will work to expand Tyche’s municipal client base by providing staff-level planning, zoning, community development, economic development, grant writing, and project management services. Our team recognizes that while the specific needs, conditions, and politics of each community are unique, bringing a broad and shared perspective from multiple communities is a highly effective and efficient approach to service delivery.
Tyche Planning & Policy Group is the fastest growing, most dynamic land use planning firm in Connecticut. Our team is comprised of municipal planning and zoning experts with nearly four decades of combined experience working for and in communities across the state. Our team of professionals is bright, motivated, and committed to building outstanding, inclusive communities.
Our company philosophy is exceptionally supportive of our employees, and we offer highly competitive salaries, an unmatched medical and dental insurance program, a generous vacation policy, retirement benefits with company match, and none of the nonsense that too often accompanies working for a large corporation. Because we’re not a large corporation. We are flexible, dedicated, hardworking, and on a mission to be the best and most prominent planning firm in the state.
Over the last several years, Tyche’s team has developed a strong niche providing in-town land use staff services as well as a range of ongoing consulting services to support communities as diverse as Branford, East Windsor, Portland, Waterbury, Essex, Willington, Bloomfield, and Voluntown. We are looking for team members who can handle the complex and varied municipal land use issues and understands how to address the competing interests they create.
While the services we provide are as diverse as our client base, Tyche employees can expect to be involved in projects including Plan of Conservation and Development updates, Comprehensive Zoning Regulation Revisions, interim and ongoing municipal planning/zoning/land use support, Third-Party Technical Reviews, private development projects, economic development initiatives, land use advocacy, GIS analysis, Town branding plans and, business retention and expansion initiatives
Tyche is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
The Municipal Planning Associate will expand Tyche’s current client base by providing staff level assistance with planning, zoning, economic development, community development, grant writing, and project management new and existing clients. Initial focus will be on offering municipal planning and zoning expertise in the review, interpretation, enforcement, and update of municipal zoning regulations. Serving as municipal land-use staff, tasks may also include planning projects such as updating Plans of Conservation and Development, Open Space Plans, Sidewalk/infrastructure expansion, Affordable Housing Plans, writing grants for project implementation, and managing additional special projects and studies. The successful candidate will be responsible, at a minimum, for the following:
- Reviewing and issuing decisions on zoning permit applications
- Review and Administration of applications before a Planning and/or Zoning Commission, Inland Wetlands Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals,, flood plain applications, site plans, subdivision plans, proposed regulatory amendments, and surveys to ensure compliance with local zoning regulations, and planning and zoning conditions
- Issuance of Certificates of Zoning Compliance
- Inspection of sites of new construction to ensure compliance with approved plans, zoning regulations, inland wetland regulations and planning and zoning conditions
- Consults attorneys, architects, planners and engineers concerning the specific application of zoning and inland wetland regulations
- Meets with applicants and landowners about development projects, providing advice and guidance about processes and municipal goals
- Responds to and investigates complaints of alleged zoning violations; issues zoning violations (when appropriate) and maintains records
- Provides technical support to Planning and Zoning Commission, Inland Wetland and Watercourses, Economic Development and, Zoning Boards of Appeals (ZBA)
- Participates in Commission meetings as needed
- Meets regularly with municipal officials, including Chief Elected Officials/Town Managers, to identify municipal priorities
- Assists with development and implementation of Plans of Conservation & Development and other State/Local strategic plans.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Urban/Regional Planning, Environmental Studies, or related course of study
- A minimum of three years of related experience
- Certification by the Connecticut Association of Zoning Enforcement Officials
- Completion of the CT D.E.E.P Inland Wetland Agency Comprehensive Training Program
- Customer service oriented
- High-level communicator, verbally and in writing
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to read, understand, and interpret building plans, maps, site plans, and subdivision plans
- Ability to prepare complex written and oral reports and opinions; prepare legal notices, agendas, and notices of decisions
- Working knowledge and understanding of municipal, state and federal land use law
- Efficient, thorough, detail oriented, and dedicated to quality work
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to work in a flexible and dynamic collaborative team
- Must possess a valid driver's license and be willing to travel to multiple City/Town Halls
Interested candidates should email a resume and cover letter with salary requirements to email@example.com