Western Connecticut Council of Governments
Sandy Hook, CT United States
Planner (part-time; or fulltime with a 35-hour work week)
Salary Range: Fulltime salary is $70,000-$100,000 (depending on qualifications) with a competitive benefits package. Part-time salary range is prorated.
Location: Hybrid work environment in Sandy Hook, CT
Closing Date: Open until filled or closed
The Western Connecticut Council of Governments (WestCOG) is a metropolitan and regional planning organization that provides transportation, environmental, economic development, GIS and other planning services to 18 municipalities in western and southwestern Connecticut.
Job Description and Responsibilities
WestCOG seeks a qualified, experienced, and highly-motivated person to serve as a part-time or fulltime planner or project manager. The ideal candidate will provide support on a variety of transportation planning activities, including freight, transit, and congestion mitigation planning. Job responsibilities may evolve over time and are expected to include:
- Development of local and regional transportation studies and plans; and
- Assist with state and federal transportation programs; and
- Management of consultant-led planning studies; and
- Conduct data collection and statistical analysis; and
- Prepare reports and related planning documents for technical and non-technical audiences; and
- Communicate with local, state, and federal transportation officials; and
- Assist with project solicitation, review and prioritization; and
- Assist with procurement processes, including Requests for Proposals/Qualifications; and
- Facilitate public and stakeholder engagement, and
- Other tasks as assigned
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The ideal candidate will be/have:
- Strong project management skills
- Transportation planning experience
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Excellent time management skills to handle multiple assignments simultaneously on-time
- Ability to pay attention to detail
- Outcome-oriented, with strategic execution and good follow through to deliver on assignments
- Ability to work within government structure and protocol
- Ability to work independently, while maintaining strong working relationships with supervisors, staff, elected officials, committee members, consultants, and members of the public
The ideal candidate should have a minimum of five years of relevant work experience that provides the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge, and ability to perform the job.
The ideal candidate will have a high level of proficiency in:
- Spoken and written English
- Quantitative analysis
- Computer software and systems
- Regional government and Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPO)
- Project, grant, and consultant management
The ideal candidate will be reliable, able to work independently, have a high level of professionalism, be an innovative and creative thinker.
Salary and Benefits
Title to be determined commensurate with experience, and corresponding salary of $70,000-$100,000, depending on qualifications. Part-time salary range is prorated. WestCOG offers a competitive benefits package including: health and dental insurance; retirement contributions; vacation time; personal time; sick time; flexible work schedules; telecommuting opportunities; employer-paid professional accreditations, memberships and conferences; and federal student loan forgiveness (employees of public agencies may qualify under Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness). Part-time employees are eligible for some of these benefits.
This position provides an opportunity to work in a collaborative, supportive, and motivating work environment. The employee will be stationed in WestCOG’s office located in Sandy Hook, CT, with a flexible and hybrid work schedule (partial remote work). Fulltime employees may have an option to work a compressed schedule to take one day off per week. This area of Connecticut combines the rural charm of a small New England town with the sophistication and amenities of metropolitan suburbs and offers:
- High quality of life
- Close access to major cities, universities, world-class healthcare, cultural and recreational attractions
- Excellent school systems
- Access to recreational trails and many leisure activities
Applying for the Position
To be considered, applicants must have a driver’s license, access to reliable transportation, and be legally able to work in the United States.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, references, and salary requirements to Mr. Francis R. Pickering, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. Selected candidates may be asked to provide additional information or to appear for a personal interview. This position will remain open until filled or closed.
WestCOG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.